Future of mexico
Design thinking
Equality of access and technology
Scalability 2.0
Resources in macro
Macrodesign
Development and innovation
Reworking business models for development
Rethinking equality
Rethinking borders via communication
Inter continental communication in business
Bridging gaps in knowledge sharing on diverse teams
Better collaboration cross continent
Spain to mexico
Australia to UK
US to Asia
Designing new interfaces as solutions to equal access
Poverty solutions
MacroDesign : Macroeconomic + Design Innovation
How can we use principles of artificial intelligence to help people's access to water?
How can we create plasticity in emergency response systems?
How can we increase access to banking via mobile for people who live in rural or isolated urban areas?
How can we accelerate distribution networks of credit among impoverished communities, and encourage feedback at a manageable scale?
How can electrical solutions for governments be better visualized to real-time inform international energy policy?
All these ideas I want an academic basis for.
In school, I studied neuroscience and art to go to the very limits of what science and social communication was capable of. Now, I want to do this in business school: arrive at our ultimate human barriers and redesign the limits of human impact of technology. My grandfather, who was a civil engineer who became a quantum physicist in his old age, wrote a chapter called "quarks: turning and other quirky behavior" which explored the moment that math, our language, breaks down, and the rules as we know it begin to disintegrate. This is like an un-detangleable bottleneck in a web app; after reaching a certian scale, sometimes you can re-code and restructure to get the efficiency you need to function but sometimes you need to redraw your entire language and perspective to GROW - thereby coming up with an understanding of the world and how to solve problems at this scale.
This is a principle I have taken from the most thrilling tenets of my 5-year career in emerging internet technologies, and 4-year study of contemporary art & neuroscience: once we reach a certain scale of data that our understanding begins to break down, once we reach our own physical, sensory, or resource-based limits, then we must discard the very basis of our barriers (be it C++ for HTML5: be it neurotransmitters and begin to study growth factors; be it paint, and begin to use computers) in order to reveal an entirely new language to describe the future.
comScore and Nokia propelled me into amazing projects at the forefront of emerging technology (user research and mobility), and Google has treated me well. Once seasoned in disruptive tech for 4 years in Silicon valley, I joined Google on a personal mission to move into the d3veloping world & extend my humanitarian scholarship program (Robertson Scholars), which focused on leadership through a humanitarian spirit, hunger for discomfort, intellectual curiosity, community service, and courage. Like that program, Google gives employees access to tackle huge social or economic problems with scaling simple tools. In college, it may have been a camcorder; at Google, its code and all of the information of the world extracted using it. Examples include Project Loon, Charity Water, Trading Bows and Arrows for Laptops, and more.
In my current team, I'm tasked with two "break barriers" projects this season: 1) Partnering with the federal government to re-market the country of Mexico to the world via the internet (combatting negative stereotypes thru interactive, experiential media promoting investment in Mexico) and 2) Managing the workflow of a team dedicated to the biggest industry for Google in the country - and the biggest legal industry for Mexico after oil - tourism.
Tourism reveals macroeconomic trends unravelling between Mexico and Brazil, Colombia, Spain, the U.S., China. I research huge-scale investments, technology access, crime patterns, profit models, auction dymanics and geography for my multi-market pitches to top global travel companies about their expansion strategy in LatAm. My recommendations are usually based in reworking digital intelligence within their own business models.
My market covers 589,000 humans, but just a fraction of them are participating - and if I can go to business school and develop strategies to build solutions to accelerate access for the 63% of Mexican swithout access to internet - imagine potable water - then I could scale to markets of 2 billion, and help feed democratizing inventions' penetration to those currently without access. Access to internet, education, water, medicine, jobs. I want to discover other tools: so far I understand camcorders and code, but there must be many more.
To do this well, I have to be a serious people person and understand old world conservatism, institutions threatened by tech, and align with audacious leaders and influencers on the ground willing to disrupt in the name of equality. My progress on building a foundation in my first year here has been really interesting in Mexico as it's going through a major adolescent period of economic development.
Outside of work, I am a major ambassador from Silicon Valley to bring agility and change-driven mindset to influential groups in Mexico City. I serve as a coach and core ally for angel investors in the region (500 startups, angelhack), women developers, incubator initiatives in the private (wayra) and public (inda / entrepreneur) sectors, and I'm even involved in a project creating the official narrative to incentivize national banks to launch mobile banking solutions and broaden their reach. I have been invited to host innovation workshops for X org representing Mexico problem-solving from my house, and I'm being recruited to be country manager and launch Spanish-Latam expansion for an SF ads solutions platform focused on a disruptive media model (RTB). I have spoken at tech conferences to engineers about disruptive problem-solving thru "coding for poverty" and received a standing ovation. I have had an amazing year of plugging into the real challenges and opportunities of the developing world.
I am hoping you will accept me into your program because I want to deeply study technologies of scale - and how to redesign solutions to basic problems in the name of human equality - and ensure that they work.
After two years with your program, I'd like to go to a CEO and sit down and discuss how to get to 10x WHILE helping solve human problems. And walk her through the economics of how that is going to work. Sustainability and design thinking are inherent to this plan, because they encourage the flexibility required for an organization to change values and start thinking in a new human scalable language. The type that allows us to break barriers again - understand the plastic brain and the quarks of humanity - of suffering, and of money. If you accept me into your program, I promise that I will be a catalyst for the class and represent a great legacy for the program moving forward. I think like an artist, work like an engineer, and dream like a politician. I want to learn great management skills to go where we have never gone before!
No comments:
Post a Comment